The growing popularity of ostrich farming in the world is associated with the possibility of all-round use. These birds provide meat, eggs, feathers, and other minor products. Demand for the products of the ostrich is huge
African ostrich – main features
• lives between 60 to 70 years
• sexual maturity of cocks after three years , of hens after two years,
• fertility up to 40 years,
• bird weight ranges from 100 to 150 kg,
• speed in the run up to 60 km / h.
• the height of bird ranges from 2, 0 up to 2, 8 m
• withstands temperatures down to -41 ° C,
• foods: alfalfa, clover, grass, grain and a special feed produced in our country.
African ostrich farm in Garczyn was founded in July 1993 as the first one in Poland. The breeding was started from 10 young ostriches placed in a specially adapted existing barn for them. In 1997 it was built a new ostrich house for basic ostrich herd that is divided into several families. The farm has also a hatchery.
Currently at the farm there is more than 220 ostriches in different age groups, which are placed in separated and fenced 5.5 acres paddocks.
Since 1994, we have been cooperating with the Institute of Genetics and Animal Breeding at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Jastrzebiec and with the Provincial Department of Veterinary Hygiene in Gdansk, and since 1996 also with the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn.